Saturday, January 3, 2009

Utah National Champions....I'm not so sure but Bill is!


A rant from my friend Bill...

"I consider Utah the National Champions. They are the only undefeated team in college football in 2008. But it is not just that fact. I know, I know, I know, since the crappy BCS started there have been other teams that have finished undefeated and didn't win the title. Utah did it just 4 years ago or so themselves. But this time Utah beat one of the elite teams in a bowl game, and it wasn't a squeaker. The only reason that Alabama isn't/wasn't considered one of the 3, 4 or 5 teams that should have the right to play in the BSC title game is that their "one loss" came at the end of the season instead or earlier like the other "one loss" teams. I will never understand why an undefeated team whose only loss comes at the end of the season should automatically drop below a bunch of other "one loss" teams that are directly behind them in the standings.


But, regardless, they are ALL "one loss" teams now...Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Alabama, etc. (Texas Tech lost their bowl game). I realize that USC tromped Penn Sate and showed their worth, but they still have that one loss. And regardless of which two teams ended up in the title game, the winner would still have that one loss. Add to that the fact that Boise State lost their bowl game to end their hopes of going undefeated, we have a clear cut National Champion.


This is just my opinion. Please understand that I don't always think that the fact of simply being the ONLY undefeated team is automatically good enough to be declared as National Champons. But this time I think it is based upon the above."

No comments: