Saturday, May 17, 2008

My new favorite beers....Leinenkugel's

So I have finally found something to top Sam Adams as my favorite brewing company. While I still respect the history and quality of Sam Adams, the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company offers a magnificent array of high quality and euphoric tasting brews. Jacob Leinenkugel started brewing in 1867 and incorporated old English brewing techniques with more traditional brewing ingredients. 5 generations later, the Leinenkugel family still uses Jacob's brewing technique's to deliver a fresh crisp taste in each brew.

Recently, I was converted to a fan by enjoying myself a sample pack that included the Sunset Wheat, the Summer Shandy, the Berry Weiss, and the Honey Weiss. It was quite a tasting.

First, I tasted the lemony Summer Shandy. Brewed from wheat, marley, and a hint of real Wisconsin honey, the Summer Shandy is an excellent brew. Its mixed with lemonade and other citrus flavors to give it cool, refreshing taste.

Following, the Summer Shandy, I tasted the Berry Weiss. This aromatic fruit beer was awarded the Bronze medal for Fruits and Vegetables category at the 2004 Great American Beer Festival. It is brewed with a mixture of Pale and Wheat malts, Cluster hops, and blended with blackberries, elderberries, and loganberries for a sweet, fruity flavor. It carries a 4.7 percent alcohol content and is available year round.

Later in my tasting, I poured myself a Sunset Wheat. Like the Berry Weiss, the Sunset Wheat is brewed with both Pale & Wheat Hops, Cluster Hops, and a small amount of natural coriander. The coriander gives this brew a citrus flavor similar to a Blue Moon. The taste is very mellow which is great for relaxing on any summer evening.

Finally, I tried the Honey Weiss. This brew turned out to be my least favorite of the four. Since its creation in 1995, this beer has been the prize of the brand. Light flavored and malty, the Honey Weiss is powered by its sweetness, but is pale in comparison with its previously reviewed brothers.

Overall, these brews are well worth a taste, and it almost makes me laugh when I consider how my taste preferences have grown. From the convienence of Natural Ice to the smoothness of Rolling Rock, and now on to crispness of Sam Adams and refreshness of Leinenkugel's. It's been quite a transformation. For more information on the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website at www.leinie.com .

No comments: