Thursday, July 10, 2008

Reviews: Toro Flymo 19 inch


My brother-in-law, and his father, came across a Toro Flymo. This is a neat little hover-mower. It's gas powered, and uses a single standard 19 inch blade. From what I have been able to look up on this contraption, its especially useful when mowing on hills or inclines. When started, using a standard pull start, the mower hovers about 2 to 3 inches of the ground. It's louder than a standard mower, and significantly louder than most newer machines.

Here's a few photos of the mower.


I also want to just make a little comment about my brother-in-law's junk collection. During the few hours I was there he brought out the Toro Mower, an old power saw (which he gave to me), a scuba tank, spare parts for a kegerator, and a book featuring the city & town layouts from the late 1800's and early 1900's. He's got a pretty good collection.

3 comments:

bernie said...

Ironically my mother has the same thing hanging in her basement. Have not tried to get it running yet. So, my question is how much do you think one of these beasts is worth?

Mark Lueckenhoff said...

I would advise shoes before starting!

I just inherited a Flymo from my dad. I want to sell it, but also have no idea of a good asking price. They have to be pretty rare.

By the way, my experience using it as a teenager many years ago was that it was hard enough to control on level ground, let alone on slopes. Without wheels, gravity is free to do its thing constantly.

Fred205 said...

Hi Matt.
I was wondering if you had a instruction/ parts manual for the Toro Flymo 19. I am considering buying one but I wan to check out some info first. Available parts, how it works etc. If possible, I would appreciate an email scanned copy of the manual. Any help would be appreciated. My email is: martelf@staff.ednet.ns.ca