Sunday, December 30, 2007

Surviving the Last Lazy Days of 2007


It's 32 degrees outside. Pretty cold. Pretty quiet.

On the television, the 1965 movie wonder, The Sound of Music, is sounding in the background. My wife is knitting a small hat for Landen Hunt, and I feel like writing a short reflection on the year that was 2007. The year that was brought us a nationwide mortgage crisis, the end of the Harry Potter series, continued war in Iraq, and major product recalls for children toys and pet products. 2007 saw a horrific tragedies at Virginia Tech and Omaha, Nebraska. As Elie Wiesel once uttered, "I have learned two lessons in my life: first, there are no sufficient literary, psychological, or historical answers to human tragedy, only moral ones. Second, just as despair can come to one another only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings." We have also seen reasons for hope. Stem cell breakthroughs could lead to cures for uncurable diseases. Other 2007 breakthroughs in science helping to fight breast cancer, reduce aids, and clean the environment.

Personally, this year was a year of love, a year of growth, and a year of faith. So here's my 2008 resolutions, a few predictions, a little motto for me to take into the new year.

Resolutions:
1. Find my calling. In 2008, I'm going to find a career which I am passionate about.
2. Run. The goal is to participate in 3 5k's throughout the year with the first in March.
3. Energize my faith. Finally, I have found a home and now I am going to re-charge my faith by renewing my faith.

Predictions:
1. Batman becomes the top grossing film in 2008.
2. Edwards wins the Democratic Nomination and eventually the Presidency.
3. The New York Mets win the World Series.


"Do something great in 2008!"

(for Ruth)

No comments: